What to do if you lose your passport?
Passport is considered as a ticket to open the door to many places in the world. However, you may encounter incidents that are out of control, even though you have been very careful when preserving your identity papers. Here are the notes you should equip before going abroad.
In Viet Nam
According to Hanoi City Police, if the passport is lost in the country, within 48 hours of discovery, you must have a report submitted to the Immigration Department.
In case of directly submitting the application, you have to present valid identity card for checking and comparing. If sent by post, the application must be certified by the police of the commune, ward or township where the permanent or temporary residence is located.
The fee for re-issuing lost passports is VND 400,000.
In other countries
According to the Ministry of Vietnam, when you was lost or stolen a valid passport in a foreign country, in order to prevent anyone from taking advantage of and protecting their personal details, you need to immediately report the loss of the passport to the police of the host country and the nearest Vietnam Diplomatic Representative.
The content of the report must specify: Full name, date of birth, permanent or temporary residence address, passport number, date of issue, agency issued, time, place of occurrence and reason of loss.
What do you need to do?
Complete the information on the Passport Notification Application in the Passport Form posted on the Consular Information Portal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam. Then, send an email to the Consular Department at [email protected] and Vietnam Diplomatic Mission where you are present, accompanied by two 4 × 6 cm photos.
Submit a copy of the police ‘s confirmation of the loss of passport.
Present at the Representative Office.
The information that you provide in the Loss of Passport ‘s Notification Form (Passport form) will be entered into the Immigration Department’s data (Ministry of Public Security) and notice the cancellation of the validity of the passport to most countries in the world.
When the lost passport has been notified of cancellation, that passport will not be restored, you cannot use it again if you can find it. So, You need to apply for a new passport.
Time for Vietnamese representative agencies to re-issue passports or laissez-passers:
If you bring other documents to prove your Vietnamese nationality such as identity card, proof that you entered the country of legal residence (airline tickets, immigration declaration) within 5 working days, you can take back your passport if you continue your journey to another country. If you return home, you will be issued a passport.
If you follow a tour or group, a delegation, a person traveling with the group presents a personal passport, confirming that you are a member of the delegation, you will be issued with a passport to return home within 24 hours.
If you do not have any other documents and do not belong to the above category, the Vietnamese Representative Agency must conduct verification. Time does not exceed 5 working days, you will be considered for re-issuing your passport or Passport.
How to preserve identification documents and prepare everything when incidents occur:
- Keep your passport with you at all times: Buy a special pocket for a safe passport inside your shirt as well as store money and other important documents.
- Prepare documents to save time when incidents occur: Pocket at least three 4 × 6 photos (white background, straight face, bare head, no color glasses), photo information page on passport, ID card and visa if available. Note not to attach important documents, money or credit cards in your passport.
- Keep your passport with you at all times: Buy a special pocket to keep passport safe inside your shirt as well as store money and other important documents.
- Prepare documents to save time when incidents occur: Pocket at least three 4 × 6 photos (white background, straight face, bare head, no color glasses), photo information page on passport, ID card and visa if available. Note that do not to attach important documents, money or credit cards in your passport.
- Look up and save the address and phone number of Vietnamese embassies or consulates abroad.
- Learn basic communication sentences: You can practice some basic English sentences, in other languages you can take notes or capture the necessary communication sentences in a notebook or phone.
With the development of today’s technology, you can download software and applications that automatically translate to your phone. Don’t forget to download the language section of your country in the future, so you can use the application even without internet.
Stay calm when something goes wrong: Travel with a hot heart but solve the problem with a cold head. If you are stressed, close your eyes, take deep breaths and drink more water to stabilize your mood.